Apply for Mongabay Internship – Spring 2024
Application is open for Mongabay Internship – Spring 2024. This is a six months partially paid remote internship program for environmental ethusiats.
Mongabay.org offers an internship program, which primarily involves writing environmental news stories for their affiliated news site – Mongabay.com. Interns will have the opportunity to develop their writing skills and have their news stories be published on Mongabay’s renowned website which boasts over two million global readers every month.
Mongabay’s interns will be writing roughly six news stories on a variety of conservation and environment topics over a course of a
This is a partially paid opportunity. The interns will be paid for 4 of their articles, with the two first being part of the initial learning period (rates will be discussed with internship editors in due course).
The interns will be working virtually (at home or wherever they feel most productive) with set deadlines to be met. An average of 10 hours per week is required for the full six months. Some weeks could require 15 hours or so while others may be considerably less; interns have to be flexible and plan accordingly.
- Publishing experience in a high-profile news outlet
- Learning about journalistic programs and processes at Mongabay
- Becoming part of a community of passionate and talented writers
- Coaching and support:
- Meet and greet training session via Skype and Q&A with Mongabay staff
- Working with different editors and receiving guidance and feedback
- Developing writing skills
- Developing interviewing skills
- Resume building
- Mongabay letters of reference and personal recommendations
Below is a list of traits Mongabay looks for when selecting individuals for ther internship program
- Excellent communication skills
- Passionate about environmental subjects
- Positive attitude
- Coachable and open to learning
- Strong values – personally and professionally
- Problem-solving skills
Applicants will be notified in mid to late December. Do not email asking about the status of your application in the meantime. If selected, you will start in the first month of the term (January 2024).
Required Application Materials
Applications must be submitted in English. Applicants are required to submit the following documents (they strongly recommend that you have these items prepared before beginning the application process):
- Cover letter
- Indicate why you are interested and what values & skills you can contribute to Mongabay
- Motivation questions (you can find them in the application form)
- Submit a writing sample from a journal entry or blog article (600 words max.)Or you can choose one from the following three articles to complete a writing sample
- Beyond the numbers: Human attitudes and conflict with lions (Panthera leo) in and around Gambella National Park, Ethiopia
- Changes in the West African forest-savanna mosaic, insights from central Togo
- Thismia kelabitiana (Thismiaceae), a new unique Fairy Lantern from Borneo potentially threatened by commercial logging
- Optional: submit an additional writing sample of your own (600 words max.).
Deadline: November 28, 2023 (11:00 a.m.
See more opportunities