InfoNile University Science Communication Competition for Africa
Applications are open for the InfoNileUniversity Science Communication Competition for Africa. The competition aims to foster environmental awareness and empower young scientists and conservationists in Africa to take action for swamps. Participating students are encouraged to conduct in-depth research, critically analyze scientific information, and effectively communicate their findings to diverse audiences.
InfoNile, a geo-journalism platform and cross-border network of more than 800 environmental journalists and scientists in the Nile Basin, has organized a science communication competition that aims to engage university students in Africa to understand the critical role of conserving swamps and their biodiversity
class=”wp-block-heading”>About the InfoNile University Science Communication Competition for Africa
The InfoNile University Science Communication Competition has been organized with the objective of enhancing university students’ knowledge and understanding of the significance of swamps in conserving biodiversity and mitigating climate change.
University students participating in the InfoNile University Science Communication Competition will employ various communication mechanisms to raise awareness about the importance of swamps and conserving biodiversity within.
This is through mechanisms like:
- Informative and visually appealing stories that explore the challenges faced by swamps, conservation, and the role of biodiversity in climate change resilience.
- Stories produced could be in the form of written articles and stories, photo stories, short videos, short podcasts, and poems.
- Utilize social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, TikTok and Twitter to reach a wider audience in raising awareness.
Eligibility for InfoNile University Science Communication Competition for Africa
A team of 2-3 university students, one from communication or Journalism and a science student will team up and produce a communication output of their choice according to the guidelines given above.
They will choose any scientific research article about swamps in their country and use it as a case study.
Apply for similar competitions
Content and Accuracy (30%)
- Demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of the importance of swamps, biodiversity, and the impact of climate change on these ecosystems.
- Presents accurate and scientifically sound information, supported by reliable sources and evidence.
- Conveys a clear and compelling message about the need for swamp conservation and the significance of biodiversity in climate change resilience.
Clarity and Organization (20%)
- Presents information in a clear, concise, and engaging manner.
- Uses a logical structure with well-defined sections or chapters
- Maintains a coherent flow of ideas and transitions smoothly between different topics or subtopics
Effectiveness of Communication (20%)
- Engages the target audience effectively and tailors the communication to their level of understanding.
- Employs appropriate language and terminology for the intended audience
- Utilizes visual aids, multimedia, or other communication tools to enhance comprehension and engagement.
Impact and Engagement (15%)
- Successfully raises awareness about swamp conservation and biodiversity in a changing climate.
- Sparks interest, curiosity, and dialogue among the audience.
- Inspires action or behavior change related to swamp conservation.
Overall Presentation/Social media (10%)
- Demonstrates attention to detail and professional presentation skills for instance presentation on social media and proper taggings to ensure their outputs engagement/ reach are maximized.
- Final score will come from the social media platforms. Members of the public will be able to see all submissions and vote for their favourite. (shares, comments, likes) Participants will be required to create links and share with their campaign poster, with proper captions and garner reactions and engagement.
- Adherence to the competition guidelines, including time limits and format requirements.
- We shall also consider having multiple judges with diverse expertise to ensure a fair and comprehensive evaluation of the entries. To maintain transparency, provide feedback to the participants, highlighting their strengths and areas for improvement based on the rubric.
- Position 1- 125 USD +Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- Position 2- 100 USD +Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- Position 3- 85 USD +Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
- Position 4- Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt.
- Position 5- Branded InfoNile notebook, flask & t-shirt
How to Apply
Submit your application by completing this form: Application Form
Registration closes on 11th September 2023
For further enquiries Visit
Can I apply for the InfoNile University Science Communication Competition as an individual?
No, you can’t. You need to have a team of 2-5 persons
Can graduates register?
No. The competition is for university students.
Is the competition specific to certain countries?
Yes. The competition is for university students in African countries.
- Family Medicine Fellowships: Everything you need to know
- Apply to theMalta ClimAccelerator($1.5M)!
- Apply Now: Startupbootcamp Sustainability Accelerator Program 2023 for Startups & Scaleups |Up to €15,000
- Visa Africa Fintech Accelerator Program
- ₦4m Grant available for Grabs at Ugwumba Enterprise Challenge for Entrepreneurs and Innovators