Call for Applications: Swedish Institute Management Programme 2023 for Young African Leaders
Eligible Countries: Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
To be taken at (country): Sweden and selected countries in Africa
The Swedish Institute Management Programme 2023 for Young African Leaders is regarded as one of the global leaders in sustainable business practices. Swedish companies are particularly active in coming up with novel, imaginative ways to integrate social, environmental, and ethical factors into their core business strategies. However, the problems are widespread, and sustainable development is something we all need.
The program’s curriculum focuses on tackling challenging business-related problems. Additionally, it includes seminars, meetings with key figures in business, politics, and society, as well as tours to actual companies. By providing a forum for information sharing, experience exchange, and high-quality networking, the program aims to challenge conventional thinking, bolster professional abilities, build cross-cultural perspectives, and bring participants together in a lasting and active worldwide network.
The program’s three weeks of rigorous training are split down into an initial kick-off at the Swedish Embassy in each country, a two-week module in Sweden, and a concluding five-day module in Africa. The program is seven months long overall.
Eligibility for the Swedish Institute Management Programme:
- Aspire to make sustainability an integral part of your business strategy
- Be in a leading position within the trade, industry, or the public sector
- Have the mandate to influence the business strategy of your organization
- Be between 25-45 years old (born 1978–1998).
- Have a good working knowledge of both written and spoken English
- Be a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, or Zambia
- Be can take part in all parts of the programme
- Be willing to forward the competencies and knowledge you gain from the programme
Selection Criteria for the Swedish Institute Management Programme 2023
If you are highly motivated to run your business in a sustainable way and promote sustainable business practices in your country; and you also have the mandate to drive strategies throughout your business-then the answer is you!
- You are a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, or Zambia.
- You are between 25 and 50 years old (born 1972–1996).
- You work for an enterprise. We are looking for business leaders who are already CEOs or senior managers of small or medium–sized enterprises, or managers of a significant and distinct department of a large enterprise, who have responsibility for the profits of their business.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and a track record of making things happen.
- You are willing to support and share your experience and knowledge with other participants.
- You have high-level proficiency in both written and spoken English.
- You have a post-secondary education.
- You have access to high-speed internet for interactive video meetings
Duration of Program:
SIMP Africa 2023 takes place from April-December 2023 and is a hybrid programme with important parts online, where various digital tools and set-ups will give you a unique, varied, and interactive learning experience. The digital parts of SIMP enable learning to take place over an extended period, allowing time for reflection as well as the opportunity for continuous work, both individually and together with other participants. Those that have completed the required programme tasks, will be invited to a programme week in Sweden in October/November.
What will the programme give you?
- In-depth knowledge and skills about sustainable business practices with a focus on human rights, climate, and the environment, decent working conditions, and anti-corruption.
- Capacity and knowledge to lead change and implement sustainable business practices in your own organization.
- Insights into business cases for sustainability in Sweden, one of the leading countries in sustainable business practice.
- Customized expert coaching based on your organization’s and your own personal needs.
- This a unique opportunity for close collaboration and exchange with colleagues at your own level from several other countries, developing strong, long-lasting professional networks.
- Access to the global Swedish Institute alumni network with leaders who are committed to sustainable business and responsible leadership.
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- Training and content
- Conference facilities for meetings locally (i.e. in capitals), and a hotel if you don’t live in the capital.
- Flights to and from Sweden for the programme week.
- Accommodation, most meals, most transportation, and insurance while in Sweden.
Application Deadline: 13th February 2023
See other opportunities
- MasterCard Scholarship at the University of Edinburgh
- Apply for UK Tech Nation Visa
- Apply for International Opportunities in the United States
- 20 Best online MBA programs in Massachusetts
- Best Public Health Schools
- No deadline: Roddenberry Foundation Catalyst Fund 2023 (up to $15,000)
- Top 10 Best Universities in the World, See Harvard’s position