BeGreen Africa Entrepreneurship Programme ($1.1 million seed capital)
Applications are open for BeGreen Africa Entrepreneurship Programme. BeGreen Africa is a green entrepreneurship pilot programme co-created by The Tony Elumelu Foundation, UNICEF Generation Unlimited (GenU), IKEA Foundation, and young green entrepreneurs.The key objective of this mission-aligned partnership is to create a holistic, sustainable, and youth-led green entrepreneurship initiative in the waste sector [in Kenya], and the green sector [in Nigeria, Morocco, Senegal and South Africa], to advance marginalized youth’s social and economic prosperity, while addressing the triple planetary crisis by reducing inequalities, and creating sustainable livelihoods for themselves and their peers.
The founding partners of BeGreen Africa will leverage their collective expertise, close relations with government, the private sector and youth networks, and extensive field presence across Africa and in Kenya to: a) develop a green-focused curricula that addresses the gaps and capacity needs of the identified target youth, b) engage expert trainers to deliver the trainings via www.TEFConnect.com, c) facilitate mentor and alumni network connections, and d) provide seed capital funding that will empower the identified entrepreneurs to kickstart, develop, and scale their green businesses.In this pilot,
BeGreen Africa aims to train 1,000 Kenyan youth in the waste management sector, and economically empower 120 of them, as well as empower 25 green sector entrepreneurs in Morocco, Nigeria, Senegal, and South Africa, all under the age of 35, with new or existing green businesses. The initiative will build evidence around youth entrepreneurship in high-impact green sectors, exploring how young entrepreneurs can contribute to circular economies and a sustained green revolution in Africa.
The BeGreen Africa Entrepreneurship Programme will address issues raised directly by young people who were asked to share their goals, challenges and needs as aspiring green entrepreneurs. Youth with a green business idea or start-up already spotted through GenU programmes will be first to take part in the programme. An initial two-year pilot will support green entrepreneurs in Kenya.While the programme will be open to all young people, its main focus will be marginalized youth. In particular, BeGreen Africa seeks to empower adolescent girls and young women as well as youth with disabilities to become green entrepreneurs.
Key objectives of BeGreen Africa include:
- Youth Empowerment: Co-created with young green innovators, the Programme aims to empower young African entrepreneurs, giving them the tools and skills necessary to take an active role in solving environmental challenges.
- Green Jobs Creation: By supporting the development of environmentally conscious businesses, this partnership will help create jobs that contribute positively to the planet.
- Address the Triple Planetary Crisis: The Programme will directly tackle climate change, biodiversity loss, and resource scarcity by fostering sustainable entrepreneurship.
- Foster Innovation: The Tony Elumelu Foundation, UNICEF’s Generation Unlimited, and IKEA Foundation believe in the power of innovation to drive positive change. This Programme will encourage young African entrepreneurs to think outside the box and develop groundbreaking solutions.
- Build a Sustainable Future: Ultimately, BeGreen Africa aims to contribute to building a more sustainable and resilient future for communities and the planet as a whole
- Moe than US$ 1 million in seed funding to 225 young entrepreneurs to kickstart, develop, and scale their green businesses.In this pilot,
- Peer-to-peer mentoring and business management training
- Access to networks and virtual suppo
- Applicants must be below 35 years of age
- Applicants must come from Kenya, Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco and South Africa
- Business can be new or existing and must be in the wastes management sector or green economy sector
Deadline: 30th September, 2023
isit TEFconnect to apply
For further details, visit BeGreen Africa
- Apply for UNESCO Mid-Level Professionals Programme 2023
- AAUW International Fellowship ($20,000–$50,000 funding)
- UNICEF Internship Programme for Undergraduates, Graduates, and Postgraduates-Fully funded
- Deadline Extended! NCC N10m Grant, Opens Applications
- 20 Best online MBA programs in Massachusetts