Exciting news! The team at Grooming People for Better Livelihood Centre (Grooming Centre), a top Microfinance Institution in Nigeria, is thrilled to introduce the 2023 Grooming Centre University Grant Scheme. This is the fifth time this program is running, and its goal is to inspire research and learning about important topics like Microfinance, helping rural areas grow, making sure everyone can access financial help, creating businesses that do good, supporting small businesses, and empowering women in development.
Method of Application
All entries must be submitted in soft copy via the application page.
Download the Application Abstract
The abstract guide gives you a clear format to structure your research application document. Follow the abstract in your research application document.
How does one Qualify?
1. Application Requirement
- The applicant must be either a student at the postgraduate or undergraduate level in a Nigerian tertiary institution whose research study is in the area of Microfinance, rural development, inclusive finance, social enterprise, MSME and women in development.
2. Research Areas
- The focus of the research study must be relevant to the Nigerian context, practical, innovative and should be capable of promoting any of the above areas of interest, in the Nigerian space.
- The research must show a high level of originality, and imaginative thought and be data-inclusive.
- (There are no age, gender, religious or ethnic barriers to application).
4. Academic Requirement
- The applicant must be a student at a NUC/NBTE-approved Nigerian university or polytechnic.
- The applicant must submit a written and signed recommendation from his/her project supervisor.
5. Submission Process
- The applicant must submit a research concept of between 10-15 pages which will include an introduction, literature review, research methodology including references and a page of candidate’s personal profile. The candidate will also submit a final soft copy of the research project on completion of the study. (See Abstract for Guide).
6. Opening & Closing Dates
- Submission opens on the 26th of June 2023 and closes on the 18th of August 2023
About Grooming Centre
Grooming Centre is a Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) founded in December 2006, and registered with the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) Certificate Number CAC/IT/NO 24198, to address the near absence of financial services to the large population of economically active poor people engaged in small trading and micro productive activities in many parts of Nigeria.
The Centre is the result of the strong commitment of a group of microfinance practitioners to building a vibrant and high-growth organization that will play a leading role in improving access to financial services for the poor. It is a membership organization which implements a radical action programme through a range of financial services delivered to the doorstep of its members.
Grooming Centre is a national institution with an international perspective and is dedicated to mobilizing resources and offering financial services to the entrepreneurial poor that have little or no access to conventional forms of financial services.
The Centre operates as a viable institution by hinging its services and operations on global best practice approaches perfected by ASA Bangladesh, a global market leader in providing microfinance services and introduced to Nigeria through the UNDP-assisted MicroStart programme.
The Grooming Centre University Grant Scheme has funded hundreds of candidate projects and research in our previous editions